Subject: Leica compacts
From: Iain Bryson <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:09:42 +0100 (BST)

How good are the lenses on Leica compacts?  I have seen favourable reports
of the Elmar on the Leica mini.  I understand that the lens and camera are
produced in Japan, and that the lens is a Leica design and tested by Leica
Quality Control in Germany.  Does anyone know if this is true?

And how about the Vario-Elmar on the Leica minizoom?  How good it is it
(compared to M and R lenses, and the lenses on similar zoom-lens compacts)?