Subject: Re: pictures of jewelry? - Outstanding pictures
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:09:26 +0200

Thanks to all who responded and gave very helpful hints. The results are not
good, they are outstanding or better: OUTSTANDING.

What I learned is 1st that it is possible to control the highlights in advance,
even with a flash. I learned 2nd that pictures are best, if there are
highlghts, but not too many.

Here is what I have done:

I took the VisoflexII and the Tele-Elmarit f2.8/90.
Film was Agfa APX25, developed in Ilford ID11 1+1 13 min at 20C.

I started with available light coming through a Window. A wonderful 3D-effect
can be seen but next time I have to control the highlights better.

Next I used a Maglite to see the highlights and then used a Metz flash for the
exposure pointing backwards to a slightly curved white paper from the position
I found using the Maglite.

Compared with the results from a Canon SLR I can assure you: Leica glass is
eleven out of ten. No need for a MF. Even the Tele-Elmarit, which is not of
the latest design.  Every time I enlarged a picture further (up to 9.5x12 inch
by now) I could see further details tracked down to the very fine scratches in
the surface and the details from the cloth the pieces were laying on.

After this experience it seems impossible to me to trade this very fine lens
as I was just about to do.

christoph