Subject: Re: Mounting colour prints for exhibition
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:27:00 +1000

Bill,

"As I recall they have mat boards designed for color prints as opposed
to black and white fiber"

I haven't heard of this before - I know there is acid free mat for
archival use (with B&W fibre based paper) and non-acid free for RC
papers (or non-archival use).  Is this non-archival mat the same as the
mat for colour prints, or is the colour print mat different again?

Regards,
Rob.
 ----------
 >  From: Welch
 >  To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 >  Subject: Re: Mounting colour prints for exhibition
 >  Date: Friday, 18 July 1997 4:16PM
 >

 >  Harold Gess wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Hi
 >  >
 >  > I wonder whether anybody can assist me. I am preparing for an
exhibition of
 >  > my work (lots of it shot on Leicas!) and am having around 50
colour prints
 >  > (500x330) printed at the moment. Now, I have organised with a
framing
 >  > company to mount and frame these. They have recommended that the
best way
 >  > to ensure they stay flat is to use a spray-type glue to attach
them to
 >  > acid-free board. I wonder whether anybody has experience of these
glues and
 >  > can perhaps recommend any which are better than others.
 >

 >  Harold, I would insist they not use those glues. I'd have them use
paper
 >  corners to hold the print to the mounting board (I prefer a standard
 >  archival 4 ply mat board for mounting) and linen tape to hinge the
front
 >  mat. That's pretty much standard archival mounting.
 >
 >  A lot of frame shops that deal mainly with consumer prints, etc.,
like to
 >  spray because it's easy and they don't get complaints about the
print
 >  buckling. Personally, I don't mind it if the print isn't perfectly
flat
 >  as long as it is nicely matted. And with the paper corners you can
always
 >  remove the print.
 >
 >  OTOH, dry mounting the print to the mounting board (using heat, not
glue)
 >  is a perfectly acceptable way to go if you don't think you'll ever
need
 >  to remove the print. If so, be sure you or they use the
lower-temperature