Subject: Re: Mounting colour prints for exhibition
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:59:04 -0700

Garbutt, Robert wrote:

> Bill,
>
> "As I recall they have mat boards designed for color prints as opposed
> to black and white fiber"
>
> I haven't heard of this before - I know there is acid free mat for
> archival use (with B&W fibre based paper) and non-acid free for RC
> papers (or non-archival use).  Is this non-archival mat the same as the
> mat for colour prints, or is the colour print mat different again?
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

Robert, Light Impressions suggests their nonbuffered 100% rag board for color and dye
transfer prints.  They say using a buffered board next to dyes can cause a color shift.
Whether this is really a cause for worry in most applications is another issue.

The boards sold for archival protection of black and white prints are typically
buffered. For instance, their top of the line board is 100% rag buffered with calcium
carbonate. A cheaper alternative, and really quite adequate for most uses, is their
acid-free wood-pulp board, also buffered.

Bill