Subject: B&B Newsletter
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:33:22 -0700

Richard mentioned the B&B Newsletter the other day. I believe I have all
issues. Upon looking through them, I found some interesting stuff. I
scanned this page FYI:

One of our sources in Germany has confirmed the following developments:

LEICA R4:

The Leica R3 will shortly be out of production. Leitz will manufacture
enough only to fill its commitments and orders, The R4 will be smaller than
the R3 (it will not be a compact) and will retain most of the same
functions as its predecessor -- with the addition of both shutter and
aperture priority metering capability.

LEICA R5:

This is the big surprise; Leitz is introducing two new cameras, rather than
the single one we had expected. The R5 will be the new top-of-the-line
camera, and will incorporate Correfot, the Leitz autofocusing device. We
suspect both cameras could be shown as early as April; both are expected to
be available by Photokina.

LEICA 'M4' AUTO:

More automatic features will appear in the rangefinder system. The present
M4-type camera will incorporate an electronic shutter with automatic
exposure capabilities. So far it is not known whether the camera will be
called "M4" or signified by another name; nor whether the present
all-manual M4 will be retained. The new camera (and probably all
rangefinders that follow) will show 28, 35, 50, and 90mm  frames in the
finder. The camera will be shown at Photokina in the fall, but will not be
available before 1981.

LEICA CL:

Leitz is apparently considering the revival of the CL; it would be made by
Minolta, and contain an electronic shutter. It is not a definite production
number yet, nor is it known if it would be an automatic.

Leitz is also contemplating production of an "economy" slr. We have no
indication what "economy" might mean, but we presume it would compete in
the Canon-Nikon-Minolta market. There is no indication that the
introduction of such a camera would be accompanied by a second, less
expensive lens line.

THE BARNACK & BEREK NEWSLETTER 2/1 JAN-MARCH 19~O  -- ADDENDA  ADDENDA

So where's the auto M4 and the autofocus R5 ??? The auto M4 is a little
late, it turned into the Minilux I guess. The autofocus R5 is even later,
it's probably the R9.

Tomorrow I'll scan the breakthrough info about the Lei---. You won't
believe it!

Jim