Subject: Re: Incident Meters and such
From: pgs@pa.dec.com (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:20:50 -0700

   Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:04:32 +1000
   From: ROB HEYMAN <rheyman@cynergy.com.au>

   About twenty years ago I was teaching at a NSW University and I
   realised that, surprise, surprise, my students didn't want to buy
   their own incident meter.  It was then that I found that if you
   place one of those styrene coffee cups over your SLR lens, set the
   exposure to the reciprocal of the ASA at f16 and pointed the camera
   at the sun your got the same reading.  Does it work in shadows? You
   bet your R8 ir does!!!  Any minor adjustments can be made by either
   sanding down the styrene slightly OR marking it with a black felt
   pen till the exposure reads correctly.

Rob, you win the Best-Kludge-of-the-Week prize.  Just one question --
is this what Aussies call "bush knowledge"?