Subject: Re: Some thoughts on the R8 ...
From: Chris Hoover <cdhoover@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:20:55 -0800

David, LUGGERS:

I havent seen my slides yet, but just spent 2 weeks breaking in the R8
on Kaua'i. A couple short initial user comments to add to yours.

Pros:
Easy to hold. A bit thick -- this body takes more effort to stuff in and
remove from my domke than the R7 -- but I really like the body coating
material.

MLU: Easier to activate than on R7 (even with actuator button screwed in
to replace cable release). Use is more convenient (2 shutter clicks)
since risk of reframing is minimized. Locks in meter reading unlike the
R7 which must be used on manual with MLU. A great feature for
unfortunate Leica users who have no M equipment!

Viewfinder: Great with glasses. Very bright!

Layout: simple and very elegant; easy to see how everything is set (both
controls and viewfinder screen. I also like the screen on the back
showing frame number. Frame no and Exposure mode are much harder to view
on the R7, etc.

Easy film loading. No lifting the film rewind dial, just slip the film
in and stretch to the dot. Close and click the shutter twice. Easy!

Cons:
Exposure mode always getting switched accidentally. This is my only real
beef. Dial has no lock, and spins as easily as the shutter speed. I
finally used electrical tape to lock it in Aperture Priority mode, which
I use most often. Before, I'd find it in manual or program mode after
pulling it back out of the camera bag.

Meter displays a bit more slowly than the R7, probably due to LCD vs LED
display. Seems a bit confused during rapidly changing lighting
situations. Probably won't affect exposures, just seems like it's always
deciding.

Hiking with the R8, I did feel the weight more than the R7. Could be
that the thin Leica strap doesn't distribute the weight well enough;
anyone know of a replacement strap that fits these eyelets?

cdhoover@pacbell.net