Subject: Re: Faulty frame counter repaired!
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 13:38:05 PDT

> ... he just heaved a deep sigh and told me that "It's starting to go
> downhill for Leica". And then he showed me other signs of quality
> deterioration on the M6 compared to earlier models.

I started to worry about this when I read about the two instances of
bright streaks, which I thought was a shutter problem (has there been
any more information on that?).

> To me it's evident that the people in Solms now have changed their
> priorities from quality to profit. And we - users and customers -
> will have to stand back and allow the Leica shareholders to take over
> as a more prominent pressure group. Or am I wrong about that?

I wonder how much money Leica saved by using a plastic part.  I would have
gladly payed a few extra dollars to have metal instead of plastic;  my guess
is that's true of most people on this list.

> My M6 is for now working perfectly, but if anything - this recent
> disappointment have made me love my three almost 40 years old M3's
> even more. Not once have they failed me! Really old fashioned Leica
> quality!

Exactly.

- -Dave