Subject: Re: Faulty frame counter repaired!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:47:15 -0400

At 07:09 PM 7/10/97 +0200, Claes Bjerner wrote:
>My friend - the repairman - was not really shocked to find the piece of
plastic (the actual gear wheel, right underneath the frame counter), he
just heaved a deep sigh and told me that "It=B4s starting to go downhill for
Leica". And then he showed me other signs of quality deterioration on the
M6 compared to earlier models.=20

>To me it=B4s evident that the people in Solms now have changed their
priorities from quality to profit. And we - users and customers - will have
to stand back and allow the Leica shareholders to take over as a more
prominent pressure group. Or am I wrong about that?=20

>No! Since I had bought the M6 in Tokyo the warranty only covers repair
work done in Japan! And I couldn=B4t wait =B4til I get back there.

This issue of M6 quality is simple a sour-grapes canard.  The M6 is the
toughest of the M's.  I had my main M3 in the shop five times in four
years, and my main M4 in the shop six times in two.  My M6 has not seen a
repair shop in the four years I've owned it and it sees a LOT more use than
the earlier ones.  The development of the M6 was meant to produce a tough,
bullet-proof camera, and did so.

As to the warranty, I see no reason for you to complain:  you chose to buy
a grey-market camera and did so knowing the risks involved.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!