Subject: Re: Ilfochrome--off topic
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:52:21 -0700

>The american paper manufacturer International Paper, owner of Ilford,
>announced a restructuring plan that should result in 9.000 people less on
>their payroll. As part of the project they want to sell the Image Group of
>which Ilford Switzerland is a part.The Ilfochrome unit should be sold
>before the end of the year. So far no buyers.
>
>International paper bought Ilford Switzerland, the producers of Ilfochrome
>(formerly Cibachrome) in Switzerland in 1989, from Ciba-Geigy. Today,
>Ilford employs 360 people in Fribourg and Marly.
>
>I think that these events are part of the slow (but accelerating) dying
>process of the chemical darkroom. As digital imaging becomes more important
>more manufacturers and more equipment will bite the dust (remember the
>Focomat V35AF enlarger?). What probably will remain is a serie of small
>manufacturers, producing expensive small runs of hardware, paper and
>chemicals for silver based image processes, for fine art photographers,
>amateurs, quality freaks and other assorted nuts.
>
>Will progress ever stop?

I'm not sure I would draw such drastic conclusions. When large companies
restructure they are looking at the profitability of their various
divisions in a relative sense. Ilford Switzerland might be profitable, but
not as profitable as another part of the company. In addition, IP might
feel that Ilford Switzerland is too different from their other lines of
business for them to manage effectively and economically. A company that
sells toilet paper, for instance, might easily expand to sell facial tissue
and paper towels: the marketing and distribution of these products are very
similar as is the manufacturing. For that same comapany to expand to sell
photographic paper would require more overhead in the form of people who
know the marketing and distribution for such a product.

Obviously, I have no idea what IPs raionale was, but unless Ilfochrome
disappears completely I wouldn't be too concerned. Good products will come
and go regardless of the health of the industry. I can name several
excellent computer programs, for instance, that, despite a booming
industry, have ceased to exist.

- -Charlie