Subject: Re: Model Releases
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 18:01:52 -0800

ted grant wrote:

> Donal wrote:
>
> <<They were simply a New Yorker's conception of how weird life is here on the
> coast.  He brought his own ideas and forced reality to fit.  Ho-Hum.>>>
>
> Hi Donal,
>
> Your situation isn't unique, as it would have been interesting to ask the
> photographer why he shot some of the images which appeared as the New York
> concept of California. Or did this happen? And if so what did he respond?
>
> And he probably got paid big bucks to do the shoot and then merely captured the
> same old east vision concept of what we west coast folks are all about. :)  A
> bunch of fruit cakes! :) Hey with whipped cream it ain't so bad! :)

Ted,

We did laugh at him after he left.  Of course, he was/is probably making
more money by himself than all of us in the room put together.  Which
can give him the last laugh!!

We should have mentioned our feeling..  I'm not sure any of us were
really sure we'd been hyped or that we didn't have any vision.   On
hindsight we should have known when the book was exerpted in American
Photo; they also did an issue on California Photography that also left
us puzzled, 'cause non of the visions presented were indicative of
California photographers as we knew them, and that is when I decided not
to renew my subscription to what should really be titled New Yorkers'
View of Photography.

Hey, I can be as geocentric as the next person!!

Donal Philby
San Diego