Subject: Re: Model Releases
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:45:06 -0500

>From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 14:44:03 -0500
>Subject: Re: Model Releases
>
>Donal Philby wrote:
>>He was here in town for ASMP meeting and the sad part was that those of
>>us in the audience kept wondering what he was thinking, because so few
>>of the pictures showed the reality of life here.  They were simply a New
>>Yorker's conception of how weird life is here on the coast.  He brought
>>his own ideas and forced reality to fit.  Ho-Hum.
>
>Donal,
>
>I hate to say it, but all too often this is true.  People arrive in an area
>and allow their preconcieved notions of a place color their perceptions of
>reality there.
>
>I see it here in Nashville a lot.  Everybody coming to town thinks we all
>wear cowboy hats, drive trucks, chew tobacco, and are divorced.  All because
>of Country Music.  Well no locals wear cowboy hats (unless of course they
>moved here from somewhere else.)  I grew up on a farm raising cattle and I
>have never even owned a cowboy hat.  Most are NOT diviorced, and only a few
>of us drive trucks.
>
>Furthermore because of the way we talk people assume we are less intelligent
>than others.  Having spent a large part of my life working news, I have
>played this to my advantage adapting a deep south Georgia accent and playing
>dumb just so that when the S*** hits the fan and things happen fast I can
>get where I want to be becasue the security, cops, or whatever over look me
>because I am a stupid southerner.

I think most of our mistaken preconceptions come from the film and
television industry. I'm from Louisiana  - you know, the land of inbred
cajuns living in the swamp because we've all escaped from prison.

Photographers and editors know that people buy into the misconceptions put
forth in films and "made for tv movies", so they play upon these
stereotypes. Even some photographers shooting with Leicas (must stay on
topic).