Subject: Re: Customs
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 10:07:39 +0100

David wrote:

>      I have been buying some Leica cameras from abroad and gotten some
>     questions on the customs by different carriers and countries.
>
>     1. Rare Camera Co of London
>
>        They shipped the package by air mail: I received it with no
>     problem.
>
>     2. Leica Shop of Austria
>
>        They shipped the package by UPS: I had to pay $20.60 for customs
>     clearance (brokerage fee etc.)
>
>     3. From a Canadian guy
>
>        He shipped the package by Purolator:  I was billed $80 something
>     for customs clearance (brokerage fee etc.)
>
>     4. From another Canadian guy
>
>        He shipped the package by UPS:  I received it with no problem.
>
>     I do not understand why I sometimes had to pay for the customs.  I
>     believe that lots of you have bought from abroad.  What is the behind
>     story?  What is the best way to receive the package customs-free?

I agree with Dennis Painter. I've received used cameras from California via
the US mail, and I've never had to pay duty on importation into Ireland.

However, if you're buying new, the position may be different.

On the other hand, I've had to pay 21% value-added-tax on an USD80.00 CD
software ROM delivered via DHL.....

Stick to the mail - it's slower, but cheaper in the long-run.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists