Subject: Re: Leica Passport
From: Doug Richardson <meditor@demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:28:50 +0100

> The only thing that Passport doesn't cover is theft or fire.

I suspect that the Passport fails to deal with quite a large number of
accidents.

Several years ago, my wife lost her footing in the garden while attempting
to take a first photo with her brand-new Leica Mini II, and the camera
landed in a puddle of water. The price Leica quoted for fixing it was more
than I'd paid for it a few days earlier. It was cheaper for her to go out
and buy another. If the camera really was uneconomic to repair, surely they
could have offered her a replacement for whatever price they supply
new-build cameras to a dealer. To quote a repair price which was higher
than the camera's cost to the dealer + the dealer's profit was to my mind a
disgraceful way to run a business. My respect for the Leica company hit
rock-bottom that day, and has remained there ever since. I don't own any
Solm-built cameras or lenses, and after that incident I never will.

Regards,

Doug Richardson