Subject: Re: Re New M7
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 08:24:40 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 21.06.97  17:11:50, schreiben Sie:

<< Yes, I had a G1, liked the lens, but was disappointed  with the manual
 focusing also, especially for closeups. >>

AFAIK there were some serious thinking about the Konica Hexar to be adapted
as a kind of "low end Leica M". Leica calculated it out and found that the
price of such a camera would have been less than 500$ smaller than a M6 (due
to the limited number of production). This would not have been a commercial
success.

I personally expect a new Leica M7 with a TTL flash control and maybe a
slightly faster shutter, using not rubber but titanium for the curtains*. If
I were Leica I would not give a damn on any voice which says. "I want it
substantially cheaper, with autofocus and so on..." People who tell so, can
buy a Contax G2 and pay half the Leica price. I think that in general the
market for range finder system cameras is very limited, as most photographers
are very happy with their cheap p&s. To tell it the other way around: A Rolls
Royce costs 250.000 $ and runs 15 MPG. Would you buy it if it would cost half
the price and have double the mileage?

*This expectation is pure imagination, as I have not got any confidential
infos from the factory for the last two years. What I find not totally
satisfying with the existing M-System is the facht, that there are three
lenses now which are not fully supported by the finder (21 mm, 24 mm and - to
a certain extent - 135 mm) Maybe they could think about kind of a bifocal
finder which manages to toggle between 21 mm base view (covers up to 35 mm)
and 50 mm base view (covers the rest). Just an idea...

Frank