Subject: Re: Basement Kodachrome... or Film Forever!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 18:29:41 -0800

Fred Ward wrote:

> there is NOTHING like a Kodachrome original.
>  they are the ONLY
> material I can go back to today and have a colorful, usable,
> high-quality image in the box, ready to use.

Fred, the real telling thing would be, given reproduction needs and
expectations of color saturation (my stock agency recommends against
Kodachrome because it can't compete with Velvia on the light table)
whether today you still use Kodachrome extensively.

I'd love to shoot those images of mine which I feel will stand the test
of time, maybe contribute to the understanding of our times.  The
problem is, I just don't know when those are going to come around on the
merry-go-round--so I mostly shoot E-6.

I just saw an article in a magazine called Commercial Image that has an
article showing pix from Playboy photographers shooting same model/scene
with Kodachrome and E100s.  I must say, by comparison, the E100 looks
superior for skin tones and much more inviting (welll, it is Playboy,
after all!)

> There is a wonderful line carved on a statue base at the National
> Archives

I think it was Rilke who said, "those who do not understand their place
within a 2000 year span of history are all their lives shackled to the
days and weeks."

Donal Philby
San Diego