Subject: Re: Basement Kodachrome... or Film Forever!
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 08:10:05 -0300

>Fred, the real telling thing would be, given reproduction needs and
>expectations of color saturation (my stock agency recommends against
>Kodachrome because it can't compete with Velvia on the light table)
>whether today you still use Kodachrome extensively.

Donal,

That of course is the dilemma. The main problem with Kodachrome is that
it is not as attractive as the other films available today. No contest.
And the really good film remains at ASA 25, a bit slow by today's
standards. So, I suffer with the problem on every assignment. I want the
ASA 100 speed at least and I want the warm and wonderful colors (but not
as warm as Ektachrome 100S, which almost ruined my most reccent month in
Upper Burma because of its excessive red tilt).

The ideal would be the E-6 emulsions built to last 100-300 years. The
kids out there who cannot think beyond Friday night may think that
fading in 50 years is no problem. But I can tell you that almost ALL my
early work in the 1950s and 1960s that was not shot for NGS on
Kodachrome is severely damaged or totally worthless. The early E160, the
Anscochromes, the original Ektachromes are almost all huge problems for
me. And this is in one working lifetime, not over a century.

Digital may turn out to be the answer, but it is not close yet.

Fred Ward