Subject: Re: Leica personal stories
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:25:24 -0800

Elliot M. Puritz, MD wrote:

> Need just a quick bit of advice.  Anyone of you have an 80-200 Vario for
> the R, and if so, opinions?

Elliot,

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think the new 80-200 is worth the
price.  I've tested it against the Nikon.  The results are
indistinguishable, including sharpness, contrast and flare control (the
place where Leica lenses usually shine (wrong word?).  The Nikkor gives
you the same performance for $!000 less plus is a stop faster.

Consider the older 70-200 used and save for the 70-180.

Donal Philby
San Diego