Subject: Re: M-6 Rebate ends soon.......
From: pgs@pa.dec.com (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:27:06 -0700

   Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:21:50 -0500
   From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>

   Confessions of a new Leica owner.......

   I splurged today.......

   I bought a new black M-6 and a new 50mm Summicron...........(from B&H)

(stuff excised)

   ...I plan to keep this one.   I expect it will
   still be working long after my EOS stuff is dead and unrepairable.

Something I think about occasionally is that eventually, when CCD
arrays get smaller and cheaper, we may find it desireable to shell out
for digital backs for our mechanical cameras.  This may seem a little
weird, but looking down the road 20 years or so, film may be a much
more expensive proposition.

So here's a question: if you could buy a digital back for your M
camera, and it came in a package about the size of an old M4 winder
and cost a couple thousand dollars but had specs similar to the
top-of-the-line digital Kodak back for the N90 (2Kx3K 36-bit pixels)
- -- would you buy it?  Currently CCD arrays cost too much for the price
to be only a couple of thousand dollars, but these things get cheaper
fast.