Subject: Re: Was: Noctilux and filters, Now: filters and hoods
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:35:50 -0700

On 15 Jun 97,  Alistair_Stewart_at_LC4001@cc wrote:

>      Dan,
>
>      I've been religiously using the hood on my 35/1.4 ASPH,
>      having read somewhere that the first ASPHERIC 35/1.4 suffered
>      badly from flare. Now that summer has finally arrived in
>      Chicago, I can stop shooting 400, and will try some K64 in
>      bright sunlight without the hood to see what I get.
>

>      Does anyone else have experience in this.

I'm chuckling, Alsitair, because I have exactly the same
arrangement and when I want to unsnap the M6 Pouch from the Celia
III, the problem exists. First and foremost, the 35/2.0 Summicron M
is rather flare prone IF, like me, you shoot into a lot of sun. I
sold it and bought the ASPH to get away from that problem. I can
not speak on the original ASPHERIC, never having owned it, but the
ASPH is an order of magnitude better in flare than the 35
Summicron, IMO. Haven't solved the problem of the ungainly hood
when carrying only the M6 Pouch, except to stick in in my pocket
and then take the time necessary to affix it if the upcoming
photography is to be flare prone.

I'll not be acceptable to "Gentleman's Quarterly", however,
traipsing around in tight Sans-a-Belt slacks with that stupid hood
protruding from the side pocket of my slacks. Also, AZ heat
precludes leaving the M6 Pouch home and wearing a photo vest.

My wife wonders what I'd do if I had a real problem to worry about.

- --
Roger
    When a public offical accepts a gift,
   he dissolves the pearl of independence