Subject: Re: Was: Noctilux and filters, Now: filters and hoods
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:47:45 -0400

At 06:11 PM 15-06-97 -0500, Alistair wrote:
>     Dan,
>
>     I've been religiously using the hood on my 35/1.4 ASPH, having read
>     somewhere that the first ASPHERIC 35/1.4 suffered badly from flare.
>     Now that summer has finally arrived in Chicago, I can stop shooting
>     400, and will try some K64 in bright sunlight without the hood to see
>     what I get.

[snip]

The lens I was using was the first version 35/1.4 aspheric.  Further
testing is needed, but the one shot I was referring to was pointed directly
into the direction of the sun, but aimed into some shade just out of reach
of direct sunlight.  The aperture was wide open at 1.4, and I was impressed
by the technical quality of the picture.  I am going to continue using the
lens without the hood, and see what happens.

Dan C.