Subject: Re: R8 Construction
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:53:39 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 06.06.97  18:29:21, schreiben Sie:

<< Is the M6 built in Germany? >>

To be honest: The amount of work and parts delivered from Germany is just
enough to call it "Made in Germany" As I was told in Solms during a visit two
years ago, about 70% off all parts of the camera are made in Germany. The
zinc alloy die cast frame and body cover for example is made in swizerland,
almost all brass parts are made in Wetzlar, three miles away from Solms.

All these parts are delivered to the Leica plant in Portugal, where the
camera is assembled to an approx. 80% degree. The partly assembled cameras
return back to Solms, where the final adjustments and final assembly are
done.

I do not care too much wether portugesian hands or german hands put together
the camera. First of all in Germany we have quite a lot of industry workers
from abroad. Second, when Leica swapped R3 assembly from Wetzlar to Portugal
20 years ago, the rejection rate sank.

Frank