Subject: Re: Compared to Hexar
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 05.06.97  01:33:41, schreiben Sie:

<< Anyone care to discuss the M6 in comparison to the Konica Hexar?  I'm
getting
 close to an M6 purchase, but just want to "be sure". >>

I once ghostwrited a book on the Konica Hexar (not available in english). The
advantages of the Konica are:

1. significantly cheaper
2. fully automatic mode available
3. quieter than M6(!)
4. Flash with all shutter speeds available
5. good autofocus

The advantages of the M6 are:

1. interchangeable lenses, some of them faster than Konica's lenses
2. runs without battery, if desired
3. serious manual exposure and manual focus mode

The optical performance of the F2/35 mm Hexar lens is not far away from the
referring Leica lens, it is stunning.

In my eyes the Konica Hexar is the best of all luxury P&S cameras (Nikon
35ti, Leica Minilux, Contax T2). It is as big as a M6, but it is less
obtrusive than a P&S and the fast lens allows you to shoot without flash
often.

To put it in other words: I have a Leica M3, but no 35 mm lens. If I were in
the market for a Leica Summicron 2/35 mm, I would seriously consider buying a
Hexar instead, because it costs about the same. But as I consider 35 mm quite
a boring focal length (according to my personal taste), I would not like to
use a 35 mm lens camera solely.

Frank

PS: If you see the Konica and its price, you can't help asking why the Leica
M stff is that awfully expensive...