Subject: Re: R8 Construction
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:08:18

At 11:22 AM 06/06/97 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:

  >The whole reason that I brought up the // situation of the M6 v. M3,
  >was to point out that sometimes a build like the proverbial tank is
  >not necessarily an indicator of reliability and longevity.

In the audio trade, the products get flimsier every year.

Twenty year old tape decks have a nice heft, and appeared "sturdy", with
massive flywheels and gorgeous motors...  The new stuff appears more poorly
built every year.

Beautifully built, substantial AC motors that were worth rebuilding when
the bearings got worn, have been replaced by cheap, tiny, DC motors with
pitzy mechanical governers.

But these "lousy little motors" provide far better performance (less wow
and flutter) than the old ones ever did, and in most cases, last longer. If
you do have one fail, it can be replaced (parts and labour) for
considerably less than repairing an old one.

So, is the old stuff better or worse than the new?

If this is the type of engineering change that is showing up in the R8 - I
for one, won't complain!

David Young          |  Over the hill?
Victoria, CANADA     |  I don't remember
youngs@IslandNet.com |  any hill ...