Subject: Canadian Leica Service (Was: Where to buy?)
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:01:09

At 07:26 AM 06/06/97 -0600, you wrote:
>"Chris Hoover" <cdhoover@invitrogen.com> wrote:
>I think Camera World of Oregon's web site lists a price of $1899. Besides,
>they are pretty reputable dealers...
>   Are there any problems for a Canadian to buy through them?  I am
>concerned about the US Passport Warranty coverage.  Kindermann, the Leica
>distributor in Canada, suggests that US Passport coverage only covers
>accidental damage.  Is this true?  They claim that the Canadian warranty is
>a full 3 year warranty, with much faster warranty service.
>   They will also not honor warranty repairs for a US-bought Leica.  I
>would have to send the camera to NJ if servicing were required. I thought
>that Leica warranty service was international.
>

>-GH

George:

Don't forget the duties (and the damned GST) if you buy in Oregon, for
German-built stuff is not covered by NAFTA. Of course you could always
drive down (no sales tax in Oregon!), pick it up, and then indulge in that
time-honoured Canadian tradition - smuggling.

However, should you decide to buy here, you might find the following story
of Kindermann's service interesting.

I sent my R5 to Kindermann last fall to fix a light leak problem.  It
turned out that the back had been damaged (I have no idea how!) on a recent
trip to Mexico.  They sold me a new back and installed it for free. But
when they returned camera, they also returned the old back, and failed to
pack them adequately. As a result, during shipment, the camera smotched
into one of the film guides on the old back, and it made a dent in the
bottom plate.

I complained, and they were *very* good about it, saying that they would
repair the damage without charge next time the R5 was in.  The camera had
to be returned, as on the first trip to Toronto, the viewfinder had gone
out of alignment - somthing they had found when they inspected it, but
which was not wrong when it left here!  They did a nice job on the finder
re-alignment, gave me a 20% discount off the price they'd quoted for it
(because of the damage problem), and fixed the bottom plate without charge.

Over-all, I cannot fault them.  The camera works better than it ever has,
but there is still a small(er) but visible dent in the bottom plate.

Maybe sending to NJ isn't such a bad idea....

David Young          |  Over the hill?
Victoria, CANADA     |  I don't remember
youngs@IslandNet.com |  any hill ...