Subject: Noctilux
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 01:44:49 +0100

Tom Kline wrote:

>I followed your instructions and only got 3 finds, all worthless from
>Rec.Photo. I have not been able to find an archive of the LUG list. Could
>you please email the info to me instead.
>Thanks in advance.
> Sincerely
>Tom

Tom you had me confused for a minute, you're not Frederic .. Yes I will
email you the info. It won't be until the weekend though. Kind regards.

Richard Clompus wrote:

>I have been using the Noctilux for the past two months and only have one
>pet peeve about this lens.  For such a large lens, I think Leica should
>have made the focusing knurling a bit wider.

I agree, there's even room on the lens barrel to do this. The original
f1:1.2 with it's wide scalloped ring was much better in this respect.

I have two suggestions to help with this problem. I've tried both with
varying degrees of success.

1. From a camera repair shop obtain a rubber grip ring from another lens
   with a similar diameter. It needs to be a fairly tight fit because you
   don't want to glue it on the Noctilux. You may have to cut the ring to
   the correct width. I tried the ring from an Olympus 55mm f1:1.2 I own
   but I can't get a replacement so I don't use it.

2. Bind the focus ring with two or more layers of "self amalgamating"
   tape. This tape contains no adhesive and only sticks to itself. It's
   fairly soft and rubbery and gives a very good grip. It stays soft for
   many years and can be easily pulled off. The only risk is that over
   time it may creep into the markings of the distance scale and pull the
   paint out when you remove the tape.

   Self amalgamating tape is used by radio amateurs and electricians for
   weatherproofing electrical joints. You can nearly always tell if you
   have the right type by looking to see if there is a separating barrier
   layer between the turns on the spool. This layer has to be removed
   before use. Also the tape is very easy to stretch. If you try this idea
   make sure you do have the correct tape with no adhesive because a few
   adhesive tapes also have a peel off backing layer.

The disadvantage of both methods is you can't read the distance markings
to work out the depth of field. I couldn't read them in the dark anyway!

Bob Parsons. <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>