Subject: Re: Zone system
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 97 11:56:30 PDT

Ted wrote:

> I wonder if some one might explain to this die hard old time "love it in the
> darkroom" person, how the zone system works on a single roll of 36 exposures?

This is when the film cutting knife on your Exakta becomes useful :-)

> As it is my understanding if one is using the Ansel Adams wonderous ways of
> exposing and developing, it must be done with single sheets of film to
> compensate all the exposing and development controls.

Right.   He mentioned this in his book and acknowledged the limitations with
other than sheet film.  He did mention what other options are available for
rollfilm users, such as using a second camera for certain situations.  However,
even if you don't have the flexibility that sheet film offers, I think just
being aware of the tonal range of your photo, of how to expose for the low
values, will help you visualize and create a higher proportion of better
photos.

> You see the only zone system I'm really familiar with is the
> de-militarized zone.:)

If I had to take an M2 into the DMZ, it would be from Browning rather
than Leitz.

- -Dave