Subject: Re: Strange M6 Problem
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 97 15:20:04 PDT

Michael Weisberg writes

> ... I found a vertically-oriented and sharply-defined streak of
> light (approx. 1mm wide, and tapering slightly).  Other than that,
> none of the frame is fogged, however, and the streak does not
> continue into the sprocket-holes, indicating that the leak must have
> occurred from the front of the camera...

This is just a wild guess, but I think that the shutter curtains are
separating when the advance lever is operated.  Do you double-stroke
it or use a single stroke?  Not that that should matter, the curtains
should never separate when returning.

If there's no film in the camera now, you might try this with the
back panel open: point the camera at a bright light source such as
an open window and then operate the camera at the same shutter speed
as when you had the problem.  Operate the advance lever as you normally
do and carefully observe the curtains as they're drawn back across the
film gate.  Try this about 20 or 30 times; they should remain closed
as they return.  If they are separating, the amount and duration would
be very brief, so you will have to observe very carefully.  Even if you
don't see them separating, perhaps the absence of film tension would
hide the problem.

Keep us advised on what you find.

- -Dave