Subject: Re: Multiple bodies / Ted
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 May 97 15:12:36 EDT

Jim Brick wrote:

<<But just one R7 body??? At the Olympics??? Tell us it was just that event that
you had only one body. Not the whole affair.
Ted???>>>>>>

It was just that one event,  I got lazy!!!!!:) Damn, Now I had to admit that
only to keep my some what damaged reputation intact. :)

The truth is I had 3 R7's and motors of my own and a back-up motor and R7 from
Leica. A couple of M6's but didn't really use them for the sports stuff as we
never were close enough to make use of them other than for the few times we
could get off for "happy snaps!" :)

For those who have not had the opportunity to cover these Games, the normal lens
is usually a 300mm, 400mm preferably and quite often in my case a 400 with a 2X
or 1.4 extender. On occasion with both extenders attached!  Kinda gives you an
idea of what is required to cover international sports events. And to make it
worse, the security folks have learned that photographers have access to these
super long lenses and they keep pushing the photo positions back farther all the
time.

<<That's what networking and camaraderie  is all about>>>

You bet and if ever there was a location that fits the old saying, "what goes
around, comes around!" the Olympics is the place. If, as some photographers are,
As---;es and if they have been displaying their anti social cooperate with your
buddies attitude over the years, it comes back to haunt them just when they need
a hand.

The best thing is "the good guys" usually help them out, even when they
themselves may have been rebuked by this anti-social photographer sometime in
the past. Some guys forget that we are all trying to do a job at these events
and a hand for a buddy can make the difference whether you meet him four years
later to enjoy a beer and commiserate of the last games.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant