Subject: Re: Multiple bodies / Ted
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 10:17:31 -0700

At 10:21 AM 5/31/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Canadian swimmer Mark Tewksbury was the favourite to win Gold and just before
>the race started the "only Leica R7 I took with me instead of the usual 3
with
>other lenses attached", was knocked to the floor and jammed. Those things
happen
>in the crush of covering the olympics. Now I'm dead in the water so's to
speak
>:)
>
>However I had a Canon EOS 1, but only with a short lens as I was using it for
>"happy snaps" and not for real work.
>
>I had to " adapt" quickly and change my technique much like you.  so I
worked my
>way through the photo position of about 200 photographers looking for
someone to
>loan me a 300mm Canon lens they weren't using, as the correct lens for
swimming
>was a 400mm and everyone was using theirs. A 3 barely worked as Tewks was
in a
>nearside lane to me.
>
>However we still manage a few good snaps and the odd cold beer. :)
>
>ted

We all know that one... here's how it really went folks. "I need a pix of
Tewks. Now let's see... I'm at the end opposite the starting blocks, I want
his face so I'll need to get him heading back to the start. Backstrokers go
a long way underwater after a turn. Since I don't know where he will
surface, I need autofocus to catch him just as he surfaces and let the
camera do the focus work. Good thing I brought the EOS body. Now... who can
I borrow a lens from... uh, excuse me Jack, I just dropped my Leica, but I
have this EOS body, can I borrow a 300?"

;-)

Just kidding Ted... your story is great. That what networking and comradery
is all about. Sometimes a horrible situation can be turned around by a
simple smile and pat on the back. Just look at how much the LUGgers help
each other. It's priceless. But just one R7 body??? At the Olympics??? Tell
us it was just that event that you had only one body. Not the whole affair.
Ted???

:-)

Jim