Subject: Re: Filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:48:43 -0700

At 01:37 PM 5/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Howdy - I just recieved my new M6 in the mail today from Camera World.
>FYI - although everyone was very courteous, the order process was
>fraught with error and confusion.  At any rate, I got my camera and the
>35mm Summicron okay, but it came with a German manual (which is still
>okay, but my German is rusty), and the Leica UV filter that I'd ordered
>appeared only on the invoice.  It turns out it was backordered with no
>arrival date in sight.  I'm considering cancelling the order and either
>getting the same filter from elsewhere, or just going with a cheaper 3rd
>party filter.  I'd like opinions on how big a deal the Leica filter is
>vs other brands, and suggestions if applicable.  Thanks in advance!
>
>Al Spohn
>*	Al Spohn  spohn@mayo.edu  507-284-1666

Hi Al,

Please don't take this as a personal assault... I'm simply passing-on my
opinion on filters. From actual experience, and the concurrence of Leica, I
have a very strong opinion!

So what is the reason for the UV filter??? Since 1965, Leica glass & glue
contain all of the UV filtering you will need (per Leitz document
#920-083.) A useful filter (polarizer, warming, conversion, etc.) is OK
when necessary. But don't put useless glass in front of your very
expensive, multicoated, meticulously designed lens. As Leica said a number
of years ago "If we had wanted a piece of glass in front of our lenses, we
would have designed it there. But we don't and we didn't." I believe I
first heard this from Walter Heun.  In my humble opinion, IX-NAY on the UV!
UV filters and nEver-Ready cases are profit boosters for camera stores.
Think you need front element protection? Use a lens cap. More Leica
words... "Even high quality filters may create problems in certain
situations. High contrast, sunrise, sunset, night shots, bright light
sources in the frame. These can cause general degradation of the image,
loss of contrast, and double image. Remove all filters in these kinds of
situations." Also per Leitz document #920-083. So what constitutes high
contrast? How bright is bright? Conclusion... only use a filter if it is
going to _enhance_ the photograph. So how is a UV filter going to enhance
an image taken through a modern Leica lens? It cannot enhance, it can only
degrade. If your 35mm Summicron is newer than 1965, cancel the UV order.

Jim