Subject: Re: Using my Leicas for Enterprise ($$$$/self-promo)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 May 97 23:55:57 EDT

Ben Holmes wrote:

<<<Alright here's the LUG mother of all questions: if this doesn't get my butt
flamed, nothing will!>>>>>>

Hey Ben,

Not at all!  And if someone flames one Leica user asking other Leica users for
help, I'm sure the three shooters you asked help from will be the first three
back in your defense.

OK first bit if advice, "GET OUT OF PHOTOGRAPHY!" <VBG> :)  that is unless
you're prepared to work your butt off and take all kinds of stupid comments from
visually challenged blind editors and art directors. Not all of them, just most!
:)

Your biggest task is not only being a good photographer, but being
""dependable""  You don't have to be the "Greatest photographer in the World"
((besides that's me! :) guys that is with a very big tongue in cheek! I'm just
joking, kidding, you know haw haw!) :)

You very simply have to be dependable and come back with good usable material
__every time__ and mixed in there a few "diamonds" that will be the big ones to
get you more assignments.

You must put your work, as a portfolio in front of as many people as you
physically can, the more the better and everyone you show it to, you immediately
return a thank you letter for their time within 24 hours! They forget faces and
names very quickly!!

And you must follow-up with a call! But don't ask what they have for you, but go
back to them with ideas you have for stories, I'm referring to editorial
assignments and not say advertising. Donal can answer that better than I,

Look at it this way, You are on the street, hear and see things that the editor
sitting in the office can only hear about through you calling him with the idea.
Therefore the more ideas you feed, the better are your chances for paid
assignments.

Besides you are constantly getting your name and face in front of him all the
time and if you are consistent, then when that editor needs a photographer and
because you have been the last one he has seen, you are the immediate one he
thinks of.

Never cry "not busy" -- "no work!"  You always are going like hell even if you
haven't done a shoot in a month, if nobody else is using you why should this
editor take a chance on you.

 Most important!  dress and sound like you are somebody, not cocky, (just self
assurred) do not go in looking like you were just shot out of a cannon sideways
with a keg of nails!  It might have been alright for the "animal news
photographer" on the TV show, but it just doesn't wash in real life.

What being dressed well gets you is one great big word """RESPECT!""  If you
look like somebody you will generally get treated like somebody. If you look
like you are supposed to be there, you have a better chance of having
cooperation for and during the assignment or introduction.

You'll notice that I haven't said a word about taking pictures or Leica cameras
and that to some degree is secondary to getting in the door and presenting your
portfolio and human self.

I always found that I had a much more successful response when I  personally
presented my work, rather than shipping or having a rep drag it around.
Sometimes a rep is necessary and other photographers have had great success at
the agent/rep thing than I have. The toughest thing is selling yourself, I hate
it with a passion and each time I have to show some "happy snaps" it takes a
bunch out of me and I'm beat afterwards.

Maybe you will be one of the fortunate guys who can sell well, me I'd rather be
just quietly snapping away.

I hope this gives you something for a start and I'm sure Donal and Harrison will
have similar assistance.

Of course this all hinges on that we have been talking Leica camera use here! :)
Oh yeah and the next assignment you get, you have to pay each of us 25% agent
fees! :)  A a 4 way spit isn't so bad when you have tutors like us. :)

Good luck.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant