Subject: Re: Using my Leicas for Enterprise ($$$$/self-promo)
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 07:46:04 -0300

Mainly to Ben Holmes:

After 40 years of work as a professional photographer (always freelance,
never employed.....by choice), I feel somewhat qualified to comment on
your message asking how to earn money in photography.

There are two main paths:

1. With your own ideas, make proposals to clients for assignments. This
is safer, assures payment of fees and expenses, and can be a tremendous
career-builder. This is the way I had 28 successful years writing and
photographing for National Geographic.... by doing articles on my ideas,
pre-assigned from a proposal.

2. Work on speculation.... whether doing stories, articles, essays, or
stock photography. That way you do what you want to do, pay for it, and
try to sell it later.

Either can work and much depends on personality and disposition. To do
either and work successfully as a photographer today (in a
hyper-competitive world) requires extreme dedication and a willingness
to work 14-20 hours a day, all on your own, without slacking off.

I checked your site... and you can make it.

Oh yes, I used Leica M3, M2, and M4 cameras to do some of the pictures
over those 40 years, so this message is on-target.

Fred Ward