Subject: Re: Toners and Leica Glow and to Dan C.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:37:36 -0700

At 04:38 AM 4/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Duane Birkey wrote:
>
>>Uranium toner???????  Never heard of such a toner.  How would describe
>>it's effect and color on the print and where can you buy it?   I'm not
>>sure I want to anyhow, I use a  selenium for increasing D-max without
>>significant color changes .
>>
>>(I can't resist this one)  Is this how you achieve the Leica "glow"
>>with your Contax TVS?
>>
>>Still chuckling,
>
>Jim Brick continued:
>
>>I think you get photographer "glow" with uranium toner. He may have meant
>>"unobtanium", the rarest of rare metal toners.
>
>Well, it is OK to ask if you don't know, but chuckling and using irony when
>you have no idea about what you are talking about, is a sign of weakness.

>Oddmund

And Jim Brick continues...

This was all meant in jest. But perhaps the irony is reversed. I've been in
this business a very long time. I had my first darkroom in 1948, attended
Brooks Institute of Photography 1959-1961, and have either directly used or
been exposed to most processes over the years. You can say anything you
wish about me, I really don't care. Meaningless. I do, however, know about
"uranium toner/intensifier." My colleagues and I gave-up playing with it
many many years ago. The results did not warrant the effort. Your bringing
it up and Duane's "glow" joke brought back old memories (and jokes.) This
certainly is not the first time uranium toner and photographers glow has
been "chuckled" about.

Re: PHOTOGRAPHER GLOW

The major component in uranium toner:

URANYL NITRATE: "Yellow crystals with greenish luster. A highly toxic
compound that causes serious kidney damage. It also represents a severe
fire and explosion risk when heated or subject to shock in contact with
oxidizable substances. Keep in a tightly closed container and protect
against physical damage. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and respiratory
system. Prolonged contact with skin should be avoided because of potential
RADIATION damage."

Thus... "photographer glow," perhaps spread all over the darkroom walls. ;-)

and because of the above mentioned hazard, at least here in the US, it has
become (for the average person):

UNOBTANIUM!  ;-)

Perhaps "mixed" uranium toner/intensifier exists somewhere and can be
purchased. For those of you who want to persist, the formula for uranium
intensifier is:

A.	100cc	water
	1g	Uranyl Nitrate
	12.5cc	Glacial Acetic Acid

B.	100cc	water
	1g	Potassium Ferricyanide

One part of A and two parts of B. I'm of the opinion that mixing it
yourself in the ordinary darkroom would be foolish. But... good luck!

And Ken Wilcox said...

Seems more like a sign of good humor and intelligence to me!

Thanks Ken... as you can see from what I wrote above, that's exactly what I
intended. Serious humor.

Jim