Subject: Re: Screw mount and 90mm lens
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:03:55 -0400

I use a 90 Elmar (1949, black) with my screw mount cameras without much
problem. I am still trying to get a BL finder to use with it-making do with
an 85 Canon finder for the time being.

This lens head can be removed for use on the Visoflex also. The Elmar 90
works best on my IIIg because of the built in viewfinder frame, but I use
it on my IIIf and IIf as well.

I have to agree with you on the feel of the thread mount Leicas in the
hand. I use them as often as any of my M cameras. I find the magnified
rangefinder very nice in low light.

kw

>I have recently acquired a IIIf RD which I enjoy using much more than I
>would have ever imagined.  It is hard to load and certainly less convenient
>to use than my M3, but for some reason I cannot quite put my finger on, I
>find I pick it out of the drawer rather than the M.  Perhaps it is its size
>or its "feel."  When I use the IIIf, the camera seems to disappear, it
>intrudes only minimally between my eye and the "picture."
>
>I do wonder whether it is practical to use a 90mm lens with a IIIf.  I have
>both a 35mm and 50mm and find that with the latter, precise focusing when
>depth of field is limited is difficult.  I took some available light
>pictures of my wife in a window with my Summitar wide open and found I
>could not "rock" back and forth as I do with my M3 to keep focus precise,
>because doing so required switching my eye from the viewfinder to the
>rangefinder window.  With a tight shot, it is hard to both frame the
>picture accurately and focus precisely.
>
>As I tend to use a 90 for people and to isolate I wonder if it is really
>useable on a IIIf.  The problem will be exacerbated with the 90 as it
>requires use of an external viewfinder which is even further removed from
>the rangefinder window.
>
>Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  Furthermore, if I do get
>a 90, any suggestions?  Newer TM Elmars seem very hard to come by.  Marc,
>is your book on non-Leica TM lenses out yet??
>
>Steve

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423