Subject: Re: Screw mount and 90mm lens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:19:18 -0400

At 08:58 AM 4/15/97 -0400, Steve Kobrin wrote:
>I do wonder whether it is practical to use a 90mm lens with a IIIf.  I have
>both a 35mm and 50mm and find that with the latter, precise focusing when
>depth of field is limited is difficult.  I took some available light
>pictures of my wife in a window with my Summitar wide open and found I
>could not "rock" back and forth as I do with my M3 to keep focus precise,
>because doing so required switching my eye from the viewfinder to the
>rangefinder window.  With a tight shot, it is hard to both frame the
>picture accurately and focus precisely.

I have a IIIc and a IIIf BD.  I use both, routinely, with lenses from 20mm
to 135mm without any difficulties in focusing.  The RF in these is as
precise and flexible as it is on my M6.

The 90mm is a favorite length for me, too, for the reasons Steve set out.
The Elmar is an excellent lens, and I don't believe the finding of a nice
one at a reasonable price would be a chore, as Leitz made 78,000 or so
coated Elmar lenses.  The Russian 2/85 clone of the CZJ Sonnar is another
good choice.

The proofs for my book are in hand but, alas!, I've acquired more pictures.
 I hate to ask Dr Wittig to include these -- but I also hate to leave out
the new lenses, a CZJ Herar and 13.5cm Triotar.  I'll have it in the mail
to him in a week -- publication by Christmas, maybe?

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315