Subject: Re: Nokton versus Summarit
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 21:12:43 +0100

>Erwin,
>
>Would you call the Summarit a good portrait lens? Jonathan Eastland refers
>to this lens as the little gem. Is he right?
>
>Best regards,
>
>Chris

Chris,
There are a number of statements in Mr. Eastlands books I could not
support, nor would I dare to make them. I think it quite remarkable that
so many people classify a lens with a weak optical performance as a good
portrait lens.
As if people pictures must be soft or in other ways defective. The
argument is quite often that people (mostly older ones) do not like their
skin or wrinkles exposed. And a soft lens would disguise these.
Well if we take the portraits by Mapplethorpe, Newton or Avedon as a
reference you would see great clearity of detail and a suberb definition,
partly because of these photographers using medium format cameras
(Hasselblads for instance). By the way the preferred optic of many 'blad
portrait users is the Planar 3,5/100mm, one of the sharpest in the line.
For us poor 35mm users, to even approach this quality we certainly need
the best lenses available. And as Leica users we are well served.
The Summarit a good portrait lens? Not at all!
If you need a contemporary portrait lens try the Summilux 1.4/75mm at
f/2,8. Or if you would stick with 50mm optics, the Summicron or if you
can afford it the Noctilux would be my first choice.
The Noctilux in particular gives you a very subtle differentiation in the
highlight areas, which in most portraits are easily washed out.
Greetings
Erwin Puts