Subject: Re: New collapsible 50mm
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 97 20:57:47 +0100

>The new collapsible 50mm/2,8 has been recently recalculated and has new
>glass. Quality is now at par with more recent Leica lenses and definitely
>far better than the previous 50mm/2.8, dating from 1957. Wide open it has
>slight (0.4 diaph) light fall-off which is gone at 4.0. Best aperture 5.6.
>It has the characteristics of new Leica glass: high contrast and excellent
>sharpness also at closer distances, and contradicts people who are of the
>opinion that fixed focus lenses have not improved since the sixties. Minimum
>focusing distance is 70 cm (slightly less than 2.5 feet).

I agree with Geralds comments. I might add some additional information.
On the optical bench the lens has a decentring of zero (perfect!). Some
astigmatism can be found at the far edges. At full aperture sharpness is
very high over a large part of the negative area. Contrast is excellent.
At f/4.0 the corners are now on a high level, but still not as good as
the center. At f/5.6 we have the optimum with a really sparkling
definition. The close up performance is contrasty and with a very good
rendition of details and subtle tonal gradation. The overall image
however is a little more brittle than that from the Summicron and
Summilux.
To give some perspective, The new Elmar is at full aperture much better
than the old one at f/5.6. The old one is hampered by low contrast and
can not resolve the very fine details the new one is capable of. Can be
seen very easily when doing a comparison test.
Erwin Puts