Subject: Re: Nokton versus Summarit
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:42:19 +0200

>I just completed a comparison between the Voigtlander Nokton 1,5/50 and=20
>the Leitz Summarit 1.5/50.=20

As now more and more non-Leica lenses becoming available in M-bayonet, i.e.

15mm Zeiss/Contax Hologon conversion (Schaja/M=FCnich)
21mm Kobalux/Adorama
28mm Kobalux/Adorama
28mm Ricoh
35mm Konica
(Y.K.Optical Works Ltd., Yokohama -Kobalux- is apparently working at a
Hologon type of lens for Leica-M)

It may be interesting to test these new lenses together, including their
Leica equivalents, to get a feel for relative quality. This could be
additionally important as German, and probably other countries glass testers
(Foto Magazin, Color Photo, POP Photo, etc.), will be heavily biassed
towards key advertiser Leica. Just an idea.

With regards to visual overload, here are my thoughts, for whatever they are
worth. Even the best lens cannot render more detail than the subject has
available. A theoretically 100% perfect lens renders 100% of the subject
detail (MTF 100 at all frequencies) and in that sense visual overload
doesnot exist. There cannot be more detail than existant in the subjext.

Every photographer can make a good lens render details like a bad lens. The
contrary however is not true. It is easy to produce images like the ones
produced by a patented "Flauzeichner" like the 50mm/1.5 Summarit fully open
with a Summicron 50mm/2.0 at F/5.6 (vaseline, Duto, stocking, etc). IMHO, we
need better lenses given the fast improving quality of film, which each
photographer can individually set-up for the type of images he likes. Sharp
or unsharp. High or low contrast. Saturated or diluted colors. Whatever.

I like the combination Leica lenses and Kodachrome film. As Kodachrome is
less saturated than other slide films it reduces the "bite" of recent Leica
glass somewhat.

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
Fax: +41 (22) 700 39 28.