Subject: Re: x-tol developer and tri-x400
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:06:34 -0500

>>developers.

>>kodak

>>reuse
>>different
>>If it
>>the

>> >Nicolas:
>> >If you are going to pre-soak, you will probably need to increase your
>> >development time about 20%
>> >Randolph
>>
>> Test this with care! I have pre-soaked for years, and my times are always
>> 20-25% BELOW Kodak reccs. I don't doubt Randolph's warning, but I'd like to
>> know how he arrives at it.
>>
>> Robert
>Robert:
>I had better looking negatives after increasing development about 20%
>Pre-soak completely eliminated any problems I was having with air bells,
>but was giving negatives that were a little thinner than I liked.  Of
>course, any statement concerning time/temperature development needs
>testing by the individual.  I have lived places where the water supply
>gave a one stop push to development in relation to distilled water.
>There are a number of emulsions that should not be pre-soaked, according
>to manufacturer's recommendations.
>Randolph

Randolph-

Thanks for your clarifying note. I went back and looked at the original
post and Nicholas did not say (so far as I could I find) what sort of film
he was using. I use Tri-X, in 35mm, 6cm, and 4x5, and always presoak. It's
been YEARS since I've even bothered to read a Kodak recc sheet on the
stuff-- maybe I should! But you're absolutely right about the variability
of results: it is almost useless to give super-specific data like dev times
to someone else. My teaching experience, howvere, does indicate that my
results aren't too far off from those of most others. Fred Picker's old
motto still stands: TRY IT!

On another theme, though, something else can rear it's very ugly head:
subtle, unannounced manufacturer changes in materials! Ooops! I think I'm a
little far afield here--but has anyone in the last fews years noticed
anything "different" about Tri-X and HC-110? Now, to keep this within
guidelines, I will go and clean one of my LEICA CAMERAS!

Robert