Subject: Re: x-tol developer and tri-x400
From: Randolph Carlisle <carlisle@shentel.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 00:33:24 -0500

Mike Gardner wrote:

> Randolph Carlisle wrote:
>
> > Nicolas:
> > If you are going to pre-soak, you will probably need to increase your
> > development time about 20%
> > Randolph
> I stopped presoaking Ilford films recently after reading their rather
> emphatic admonition NOT to presoak their films but I don't recall seeing
> anything different in the negs that would lead me to change my
> development times. I would assume from your post that you feel that
> presoaking reduces neg contrast.  Is the reverse true?
> What specific film/dev combinations led you to this conclusion.
> Curious about all things Black & White!
> Thanks.
> Mike Gardner
Mike:
I found that contrast stayed the same, but that developer activity was
reduced by the presence of water that had saturated the film.  I have
been using mostly Ilford HP5 and Tri-X with HC-110.  Everything has
worked well with a 20% increase in development time.  I use a lot of
Technical Pan which I do not presoak..never attempted to qualify why;
just didn't like the way it looked.
Randolph