Subject: Re: Technical Pan Film
From: Randolph Carlisle <carlisle@shentel.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 17:45:30 -0500

Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> I just received a box of Technical Pan film from Kodak.  I'm going to try
> to see if I can get 8X10 quality from a 24X36mm negative.  I'm sure I can't
> - but at least it will be fun trying.
>
> Does anyone out there have a suggested film speed to use with Technical Pan
> film.  I have heard ASA 100 will do fine.  I'd appreciate some one who has
> had first hand experience with this product.  Finally - is there a special
> developing chemical recommendation from someone who has worked with this film.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard Clompus
> West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
> Home of QVC Shopping Network (wouldn't it be interesting if QVC sold Leicas?)
Richard:
Unless you are shooting for high contrast, asa 100 is not going to give
good negatives.  Anywhere from asa 18 to asa 32, depending on how it is
developed will do fine.  You can try Rodinal 100-1 for starters..about 9
minutes @ 68 deg.  POTA is good as well - 1.5 gr Phenidone + 30 gr.
Sodium Sulfite in 1000cc water. Try it about the same time as Rodinal to
start.  I must concede to Kodak that their Technidol developer is best
for full tonality with this film.  It won't equal the 8x10 negatives you
mentioned, but it can successfully imitate 4x5 format up to 11x14 print
size.
good luck,
Randolph