Subject: Re: still more shutter delay nonsense
From: hmphoto@delphi.com (Harrison McClary)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:26:45 +0500

>>I've tried to follow this discussion regarding millisecond delays between AF
>>camera, manual R7's and Range finder's and for the life of me I can't put
>>milliseconds into actual capturing of the image.
>

>Ted & Harrison,
>
>Have you ever used an AF SLR? I don't think you realize how long the
>delay is. I'm not talking non-AF SLR vs. rangefinder. I'm talking manual
>focus versus some of the slower AF cameras, where you push the button,
>wait for the camera to focus, then it takes the picture when it's ready.
>
>With a manual focus camera, yes, you follow focus and you anticipate the
>moment you want. That is the whole point of what John Lowther was saying.
>This is good. Focusing all at once just before taking the picture is bad,
>but this is the only option some AF cameras give you.
>
>- Paul

Paul,

Yes I currently use the Canon EOS system and I must tell you it focuses
faster than I ever could and I used to shoot pro sports for the national
media.  The AF cameras you are speaking of are what I refered to as the
amature cameras in my response.  I'll admit those things are annoying as
**** and I try to avoid using them as they make my blood pressure go up.  I
used to use Leica R-6es and I notice no difference in the responsiveness of
the R6 and the EOS 1.  Of course I still manually focus most action
eventhough this system probably does as good as I do.  I just don't trust
those electronic things, like I still use full manual eventhough I have
several auto modes avaliable, if the picture is screwed up I want to know
it was my fault not the camera's!

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto