Subject: Re: still more shutter delay nonsense
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 Apr 97 22:28:22 EST

OK ! OK!  Alright lets get this damn delay thing into a perspective for those of
us who use cameras for our living and not the technical things of on the bench
timing.

Look I'm not saying this damn delay thing isn't there.  I ADMIT IT IS IN THE
CAMERA WHETHER THEY ARE AUTO EVERYTHING OR M/R CAMERA QUICK RESPONSE WHATEVER!

But those who shoot sports or high action photography rarely if ever relate to
this delay aspect. IMHO.  I'm not rying to give anybody a hard time,  I just
don't believe that guys who are shooting regularly whether it is Leica, Canon,
Nikon or any other equipment consistently relate to the fact the camera is going
to be 100 milliseconds slower one way or the other.  It is a physically
impossible time to register from the end of my finger!

I now know it happens, or at least up until the other day I didn't know, and
I've won a number of awards for sports photography, so I have a hard time
perceiving this item has effected my shooting!

All I'm trying to say, it really doesn't come in to play for 99% of news and
sports photographers I know from around the world.  I have never ever heard it
mentioned in any conversation at any time.  That isn't to say that some guys are
not aware of it and may do something about it!

That is all I'm trying to have the technical folks understand.

Because I didn't know about it, it didn't seem to make any difference in my
ability to shoot sports. And I have used R & M Leica's and EOS1 gear, so I'm
experienced in both manual and auto stuff!  I just went with my reaction to the
action and I've shot a lot of good frames. So I guess what I'm trying to say is,
in my eyes and the results, this delay factor is diddly squat when it comes to
those of us who shoot real time things and not hypothetical correct timing
things!  Yes I know it is possible to shoot and even see the difference, if it
were possible to shoot two cameras of different configuration at precisely the
same moment in time.

I'm sorry I even got into this thing now, as it appears I have created a can of
worms, simply because I can't explain myself clearly enough for the technical
correct people out there.

Harrison thank God you understand what the hell I'm talking about!

And folks, if I'm still completely out of whack with this thing, lets save time
and figure it's an old over the hill fart,  who doesn't relate to the wizardry
of super technical modern times!  Thankyou. :)    I believe it is interesting, I
just can't imagine it means anything at the end of the finish line! :)  I guess
I should have left well enough alone!

ted