Subject: G2 vs M6
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:06:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi Fellow LUGnuts,

Last Saturday, at the invitation (and expense) of Werner's Mile High Camera
in Denver, I conducted a casual test of the Contax G2 and some of its lenses
versus the Leica M6 and comparable lenses. Of course the cameras are
different in style and, probably, intended markets, but all involved were
interested in relative performance.

The test involved shooting a series of photographs, handheld (since we felt
this is the intended and most common use of these cameras), in the downtown
Denver area. For each lens, the shots were:

1. a directly sunlit brick wall with a brass sign (for rectilinearlity, close
resolution) at f8.0
2. a high contrast street scene, f8.0
3. a cluster of bright blue and yellow flowers, sunlit, f8.0
4. an ornate older building at about 60 feet, f8.0 and wide open.

Film was Kodak Elite II, all from the same batch and developed in the same
soup by Werner's. The lenses shot were:

Zeiss: 90mm f2.8, 45mm f2.0, 35mm f2.0, and 28mm f2.8
Leica: 90mm f2.8, 50mm f2.0, 35mm f2.0, and 24mm f2.8 Asph. (all current: no
28mm was available)

All slides were examined independently by three experience photographers on a
5000 K light source with a Rodenstock lupe. All three of us came to the same
conclusions about the resulting images.

Both cameras performed very well. The G2 is faster in use than the M6, and
the meter judged _slightly_ more accurate (I have used M6s since 1986, and am
thoroughly familiar with its metering characteristics). The M6 shutter
relases faster after focus, of course, but the G2's autofocus proved dead
accurate and very fast. The G2 finder was more accurate framing the 28mm than
the external finder for the 24mm on the M6, not surprisingly - apples and
oranges.

Both the G2 and M6 slide color-balances appeared consistent within brand, but
on this film all of the G2 slides were noticably warmer than the M6 set,
which appeared slightly cool by comparison.

These are all excellent lenses. All were consistenly sharp and contrasty,
showing remarkably good performance wide open. Contrast was lower with all of
the wider lenses wide open. The 90mms were both superb. The 45/50mms seemed
also equally matched. The 35mm Summicron edged out the 35mm Zeiss in
sharpness to our eyes, but just barely. The 28mm Zeiss is spectacular at
longer distances, slightly less so up close. The 24mm Asph was consistently
excellent, but the comments of those looking at the slides from this lens
favored the 25mm SLR Distagon (not in this test) for contrast.

I would not feel sorry for myself with either camera system. The G2 outfit is
less expensive, but I would argue probably less durable in the very long run.
Thanks for your patience with this long post - thought it might be of
interest to the Group.

Will von Dauster