Subject: Re: Leica bashing on usenet groups
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:59:13 +0000

Robert Brummett <ireland@blazenet.net> writes
>>I have noticed that the rec.photo.35mm usenet newsgroup is showing a very
>>noticeable bias against Leica cameras.
>-------snip---------
>>  The newsgroup bias has become very objectionable to
>>me. There is no use trying to reason with the flamers. Both sides seem so
>>deeply entrenched in their positions that they are not swayed by reason, but
>>by the passion of their personal convictions. Brand name loyalties seems to
>>rise to the extreme whenever Leica is mentioned.
>>-GH
>
>George-
>Never try to teach a pig to sing. You're wasting your time, and it annoys
>the pig.
>Robert

Or another one-

* Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it! *

George- I hope you find this list more informative. This list is freer
of such phenomena, but not altogether immune. I think that the
irrational emotional reactions and attitudes towards Leica ownership are
simply an occupational hazard of using this brand of equipment; some
people have a fairly obvious chip on their shoulder and grasp almost any
opportunity to take a shot at enthusiastic Leica users and if possible
embroil them in the kind of arguments you describe- some seem compelled
to do this repeatedly. My sympathies are with those who defend their
equipment choice since they at least use the stuff and have something to
say that I'm interested to hear, although some such contributions are
certainly over the top. It doesn't matter very much- one simply wades
between this stuff to find what is wanted. There is enough information
available about Leica equipment on the Net to find out what one needs to
know one way or another. Let those with the hangups rant on; they may
feel they are accomplishing something- let them believe that.

My own perspective is that I love the look of the images from Leica
lenses, but also use Nikon and Rollei and other equipment. The last lens
I bought was a 24-50 AF Nikkor. When Leica make such a lens, we will all
hear about it! If I could use Leica lenses for everything I would, but
the medium format and af options would be gone, and more to the point I
could never afford it. Leica equipment is expensive, and the decision to
buy it is an individual one. I make sacrifices in other areas in order
to use this stuff- that's my decision based on my own priorities. My
liking for Leica lenses is based not on any theoretical technical
superiority or reading of test results, but on the appearance of the
resulting images. If you like the look of the results that much more,
then it may be worth it- if you don't, then it probably isn't. Probably
the best test for anyone interested in Leica equipment is to hire or
otherwise get their hands on a Leica body with one or two Leica lenses
and shoot some film and see what they think of the results. Many Leica
dealers can do a hire arrangement for this purpose. I think the best
test is with slide film, as the performance with colour is something
that made me a Leica user for life straight away. But for someone who
only or mostly uses black and white film, then that could be a better
test I suppose.

For anyone looking for information, I would recommend getting a book on
whichever Leica system (M or R) is of greater interest, and reading it.
Leica dealers often stock such books. Some of the options (out of a
range that includes some fairly expensive books) are; "The Leica M
Compendium" and "The Leica R Compendium" by Jonathan Eastland, "Leica M
Photography" and "Leica R Photography" by Brian Bower, and "Leica Lens
Practice" by Dennis Laney (covers both systems), who says something
rather interesting about Leica lens designs;

"If those responsible for lens design at Leica are asked why Leica
lenses never seem to stand out in conventional magazine tests [that was
written some years ago and may not be entirely accurate nowadays, but
the point is what he says next- JB] the reply will be "How often do you
want to photograph patterns of black and white lines?". Subjects we
photograph are very rarely black and white, or indeed in a single plane.
They will be in all shades of grey, they will be in colour, they will be
in all manner of solid shapes, they may be distant, misty, dimly lit,
backlit, have high degrees of contrast or very little. A good
PHOTOGRAPHIC lens must project not only the detail onto the film, but
also the factors which convey the tone and mood of the subject as
faithfully as possible. The ultimate criterion for judjing a
photographic lens must be the quality and faithfullness of the
photographic image, and that is the criterion they set out to meet at
Leica."

I find that using a Leica need not be visibly obvious- with a black
Leica body, I can tape over the name and the red Leica logo (if present)
and then appear to be using an anonymous old-fashioned and relatively
unimpressive camera. A black R body looks very nondescript this way. An
anonymised black M body also seems to work well in this respect- it
doesn't look like anything particularly valuable- especially with a
chrome lens on it. If the "LEICA" on the front is mostly worn off, even
better. That way it looks like old junk. I read accusations of Leica
users using their Leicas as jewellery and status symbols and so on and I
am vastly amused. If only those people knew!
- --
JB