Subject: Re: The Acid Test
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:24:47 +0100

I got two replies on my arguments for an M with automatic exposure of
CLE-type:

>It doesn't show the limitations of the M, it merely illustrates the lack
of experience by the photographer in coping with the changing >scene and
light and handling his camera!
>Many of us shoot like this all the time and it takes practice and patients
that eventually become skill. :)

Yes Ted, handling the camera is important. But would you admit that the
task is easier with automatic exposure? I saw an interview with one of the
HCB printers, and he said that exposure seldom was spot-on... But this is
the way it is with this type of shots.

>To me it shows a sad state of affairs when editors think they know more
>about making photographs than the photographer.  ... in the HCB tradition
>indeed!  HCB eschewed the look of artifical light.

Dennis, I thought so for a long time too. But a few years ago, I met the
photographer in question (Lars Thunbjork) and he showed me a lot of shots
from this assignment. The fill in flash turned out very well. Late
afternoon  street shots are often low contrast, and the flash gave so much
more more impact to charachters. But it takes some guts to fire a close
distance flash into the face of unknown people on the street...
So, I think that the editors were right this time. But in general I agree
with you (and HCB) on artificial light. I never bring a flash unless I know
that I will need it.

Regards, Hans