Subject: Re: The Acid Test
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:13:26 +0100

<Battery dependent cameras have an eternal achilles heel, so we play a
lottery
<when using them. Inevitably, should Leica move to an electronic M7 we will
<see a deterioration in lens quality as barrels become lighter and all
sorts
<of interconnects with body circuits take precedent over optical integrity.

I would like an M-body with aperture controlled automatic electronic
shutter, just like the CLE. There is no need for autofocus. This means that
all earlier lenses could be used without any modification (even the SM:s
via the usual adapter).
This is why:
We are all aware of the work of a photographer like HCB, and his views
about the decisive moment. For this type of B/W photography, the M-Leica is
an excellent tool. With the B/W films, you can rely on the exposure
latitude and DOF, and more or less concentrate on your pictures.
But, if the task is to produce the same type of images on slide film, what
camera would you use today? Now we need a perfect exposure, that deviates
less than 1/3 of an f/stop from the correct exposure. Let us also assume
that light conditions are constantly changing.  In this type of "action",
"snapshot" or "street photography", the photograper has to be highly
concentrated to visualize the picture opportunities, and a manual camera is
just not fast enough if you have to continually adjust the exposure
settings AND focus.
In this type of photography, I would say that a CLE or a high end P/S would
produce more "keepers" than an M6... Take for example Nikon, that made both
the all-mechanical FM2 along with the electronic FE2. Those two cameras
completed each other in a perfect way! (And still do!)
I know a photographer who got an assignment in the early 1990:s to
illustrate a book about Paris in the HCB tradition. After a few weeks, he
realized that he had to use color negative film instead of slide film if he
wanted to use the M6. As he got home with his work showing it to the
editors, he was ordered to use fill in flash for the rest of the
assignment. Well, this shows the limits of the present M:s.
It all depends what type of pictures you are out to make!

Regards, Hans