Subject: Re: The Acid Test
From: Paul Young <pauly@sdd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:26:36 -0800

> Electrically controlled shutters work on the principle that the shutter is
> mechanically enrergized into operation by a solenoid.  Another step in the
> process, so it is inherently slower.

Not true. A solenoid for a shutter curtain can have significantly
less inertia than the necessary gear train for a mechanical shutter.
In any event, the difference is way less than a humanoid's reaction
time, and a decent photog will anticipate appropriately anyhow.
BTW, I prefer the gear train myself, although I have and use
the solenoid variety too.

> all I have been able togather for now.  My guess is that there is some way
> to make the CCD cheaper.... pure guess, but that's the thought process
> behind the electronics biz.

Yes, we'll see less expensive digital imaging in the future.
Together with other electronic advances, we'll probably
eventually see the demise of Ag. I predict it won't be for
at least 20 years though.

Paul.