Subject: Re:Elmarit 40 mm 2,8
From: Lucien <100774.527@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 25 Feb 97 11:59:11 EST

"Frank Filippone" wrote:

<I do not in any way question your response, I am curious in how you got
<your hands on a 40 Elmarit to determine your response.  In the rarefied
<number of the 40 MM Elmarit that were made, how did you find one of these
<lenses to make the measurements ( eyeball or otherwise) to compare the 2
<lenses?

Chance, in France, years ago.

I have made no measurements.
I have only sayed that both came are from the same type.
On the CL lenses there is a slope on the cam and the cam is moving laterally.

On Leica-M lenses the cam is almost flat and the point of contact with the wheel
of the telemeter is fixed. It is the whole cam who is moving from back to front.

I hope you will understand my explanation, it don't sound very clear.

Regarding the story of the 40 mm f2,8 elmarit, after some research I have finded
that:

Leitz have made 400 ex. of that lenses (all the lenses that you can see in the
different publications are falling inside  400 numbers).
I have read somewhere that those lenses have been made in Romania ?? to cut the
price (engraving "Made in Germany). Legend ??
Anyway the quality of the construction was different from the other Leica
lenses. The focusing range was printed on a metal strip who was fixed on the
ring.